Some of the best foods are the ones that bring you back to childhood. PB & J sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, grilled cheeses, and, of course, mac and cheese from the box 😊 While some of these snacks will forever feel like a throwback, others could always use an update - which is why we’ve taken it upon ourselves to provide you with a sophisticated version of your favorite schoolday staple.
Enter: ENLIGHTENED's Crisp-y Baked Mac and Cheese recipe. Packed with gooey goodness and plant-based protein, this recipe is a sophisticated take on the boxed version. Dare we even say it's even...better? This recipe is sure to taste like childhood, but make you feel all grown up & #fancy. 👌
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 lb, pasta, cooked (cavatapppi, shells, or elbow)
- 1 3 oz. bag of ENLIGHTENED Roasted Broad Bean Sea Salt Crisps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in heavy cream, milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently until mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta of choice and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- To the milk mixture add the Cheddar cheese; stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni and cheese sauce in a baking dish and mix well.
- Crush as many Sea Salt Crisps as you'd like for your topping and sprinkle on top of the macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.