There is no denying that when the weatherman forecasts 90+ degrees of grueling summer heat, we all cringe a little inside. For me, summer is always a time to kick back, relax, and find ways to stay cool while still getting my tan on (hard skill to perfect, let me tell ya.) But for all of you Summer fans out there who love to be more active, we salute you!As parents, you have more than just yourself to think about. What can you do to make sure your little cherubs stay cool, active, and healthy during the summer season? We’ve put together a short list of our go-to healthy summer activities for the youngins & young-at-hearts in your life!
DIY projectsI absolutely love DIY projects. Why? They are super exciting, you can be as creative as you want, and whatever you make is guaranteed to be 100% original and one of a kind. This one suggestion will not only keep your kids busy, but could also leave you with the perfect embarrassing-wedding-toast clincher at your son’s or daughter’s wedding!
Here are some of our favorite DIY projects:
- Homemade Frisbee- Practice your frisbee skills with one you made yourself!
- Homemade Coasters- Creative AND great for your wood end tables!
- Make some fun pillows! (AND get rid of some of your old Tshirts!)
- Homemade slip n slide NO BRAINER! This one is active, wet, and super fun for everyone. This might be great for the whole neighborhood to get involved!
I LOVE penny hikes. Don’t worry, I was clueless and confused until I learned what it was, too. Basically, the direction of your hike is completely dictated by the flip of a penny. Heads is left, tails is right. It is such a fun adventure and you’ll never be able to replicate it! Try it out in your neighborhood or on your local park trails (just don’t get lost!)
Bake healthy treats!Kids absolutely love treats, so why not get them involved in the process? This is such a great way to keep your kids busy while also teaching them a thing or two about quality ingredients and great ways to stay nourished and healthy during the hot summer. Some of our favorite healthy recipes are:
- ENLIGHTENED Krispy Treat - A delicious sweet treat that's still healthy!
- Savory Protein English Muffin - A healthy twist on a delicious classic!
- Homemade Chocolate Shell - Who doesn’t love chocolate shells on their ice cream?!?!